A Look Back for March 24, 2021

From The Clarkston News archives

25 years ago – 1996
“Think Spring?” It was hard to think about spring on the first day of the season when Independence Township received up to nine inches of snow in what was called the worst storm of the season.
“Growth encircles Clarkston schools” Growth was expected to come from all sides around the Clarkston Community Schools district and continue beyond the five-year window commonly used in planning school facilities. Officials from Independence and Springfield townships shared a lot of development were in various stages.
“Through understanding, peace” Eighth-graders Courtney Taylor and Nicole Steele planned to spend two weeks of the summer in Hawaii as part of the People to People Ambassador Program. While in Hawaii they will spend part of it living with a local family and part of it working with scientists learning about the islands’ environment.

50 years ago – 1971
“Michigan wins first game in NIT” Dan Fife, of Clarkston, scored 16 points, as University of Michigan Men’s Basketball made a successful debut in the National Invitational Tournament with a 82-76 win over Syracuse.
“’Teen of the Month’” David Erickson was the first “Teen of the Month” to be honored by the Clarkston Area Youth Assistance committee.
“Around town” Mrs. Ralph French, of Hollywood, California, flew to Clarkston to calm her nerves after surviving the earthquake and to visit her sister, Mrs. Robert Newlin of Princess.

75 years ago – 1946
“Sashabaw Church being reorganized” The old Independence Presbyterian church will be reorganized by the Presbytery of Detroit as the Sashabaw Community church (Presbyterian), on Sunday morning, March 24. The historic congregation dated back more than 100 years when it was a Congregational Church.
“The Hilltopper” The Kindergarten class had a new student, Jeanine Lowell, putting the enrollment at 20. The grade school was also watching for signs of spring and had seen many new birds and buds on the trees.
“Clarkston locals” Pfc. Robert Johnson telegraphed his parents to say he arrived in Seattle on the USS General Collins and he would be seeing them soon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.