Clarkston Boys Lacrosse posts first win in OAA League play

By Wendi Reardon

Staff Writer
— The Clarkston Boys Varsity Lacrosse team opened last week with two big wins and finished with a lesson on the field.
The Wolves closed the week with a 14-9 loss to Grandville at Clarkston High School Stadium on Saturday.
The Bulldogs started with the lead, scoring the first two goals of the night.
Clarkston got on the scoreboard with 7:05 left in the first quarter with a goal from Nick Ferman, off an assist from Lucas Diton.
Diton scored his own goal less than two minutes later with an assist from Ferman. The quarter closed with Grandville leading 6-2.
“It was not a good start to the day,” said Brian Kaminskas, head coach, adding the players responded to the adjustments they made during half time.
The Wolves scored once in the second quarter with a goal from Diton with an assist from Luke Darnell, before the first half closed with the Bulldogs leading 10-3.
“The second half was competitive,” said Kaminskas. “It was better.”
Diton scored in the only goal for the Wolves in the third quarter while defense and goalie Robert Haracic kept the Bulldogs to two goals.
Ferman led the Wolves in the fourth quarter with two goals. Darnell and Kendall Makouen each scored one goal. Diton closed the night with the last goal with four seconds left in the game.
Kaminskas added the team can learn from the loss.
“How you practice is how you play,” he said. “We have had some pretty light practices, a little lackadaisical, some nonchalant and it’s how we came out the first half. They saw the result.”
The Wolves opened the week with their first OAA Red league win with a 18-6 victory over Bloomfield Hills, April 16.
“We played well against them,” said Kaminskas. “We played smart. We played well and came out focused.”
Ferman led with four goals and three assists.
Diton and Ellis York each had had three goals and four assists. Darnell and Denny Wandrei each had two goals. Parker Royce had one goal and two assists. Damian Miller and Charlie Formaro each had one goal. Makouen had two assists and Brady Earing had one assist.
Haracic had seven saves for the night.
The Wolves defeated L’Anse Creuse North on Friday, 21-1.
They jumped to a 8-0 lead in the first quarter, with three goals scored in the first minute from York, Royce and Ferman.
Darnell led with four goals and two assists. Royce had three goals. Makouen had two goals and two assists. Ferman and Diton each had two goals and one assist. York and Evan Thon had one goal and one assist. Formaro, Miller, Wandrei, Tyler Pilarski and Tanner Neff each had one goal. Weich and York each had one assist.
Clarkston (5-3) opened the week against Stoney Creek on Tuesday. They head to Birmingham Seaholm on Thursday, 7 p.m., and East Grand Rapids on Saturday, 2 p.m.
“It looks good,” said Kaminskas going into the week with league games against Stoney Creek and Seaholm. “It gets tough pretty quick. We have to show up and play and do what we do. We will be good. We have a good group.”
The Wolves are back home when they host Novi at Clarkston High School Stadium on Tuesday, April 30.

Ellis York passes the ball in the second quarter in the Wolves’ home game against Grandville last Saturday. Photo: Wendi Reardon Price

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.