Red suspenders, no shirt, dancin’ on the grass . . . who is that guy?

Red suspenders, no shirt, dancin’ on the grass . . . who is that guy?

BY JESSICA STEELEY
Clarkston News Staff Writer

Ever go to a concert at DTE Energy Music Theater and spot a shirtless guy in suspenders rocking out?
Some people know Marshall Moon as the “unofficial mascot of Pine Knob.” For 30 years he rode his bike to live performances each summer and estimates he’s been to around 2,000 concerts.
“I’ve liked music my whole life and I just wanted to have a good time. I have a good time whenever I go,” Moon said. “My dad took me to my first concert in 1975, Gordon Lightfoot. I still remember it to this day and I was like 13 or 14, and I guess that’s probably where I got the bug.”
It’s about a three-mile ride for Moon to the concert venue where he usually hangs out in the lawn section.
“I get lawn seats, the cheapest ones. People know me so sometimes I get in for free or for a discount. I got in for Tom Petty for free,” Moon said. “Everybody knows me there, I think that’s why stuff like that happens.”
Aside from tickets, he’s also gotten merchandise and had people recognize him and buy him a beer. He’s known on YouTube and Facebook as Suspender Man.
“I just started wearing suspenders because it was more comfortable and then I started wearing it to Pine Knob and it became a sensation. I kind of kept doing it, it’s like my gimmick,” he said.
Moon often meets DJ’s and radio personalities at the booths set-up during DTE Energy Music Theatre concerts. He’s even been interviewed at one concert by station 104.3.
“I was talking up there at the booth and it went out over the radio and the next thing I know my friend who lives about a block away was calling me up and he’s like ‘I heard you on the radio!’”
Many concert goers will recognize Moon right off the bat. He started out going to rock concerts—one favorite is Eddie Money—but has since broadened his horizons.
“I started meeting people and branching out and going to country, rap and the Mayhem Festival,” Moon said. “I’ve been known to pretty much go to everything. I’m kind of like my dad, we’ll try anything once. If we don’t like it we won’t do it again. I like to mix it up.”

13 Responses to "Red suspenders, no shirt, dancin’ on the grass . . . who is that guy?"

1. John   August 10, 2017 at 9:46 pm

“For 30 years HE’S RODE?? his bike to live performances…”
    C’mon Jessica, basic English!

• Renee   August 12, 2017 at 8:38 am

You focus on one missing apostrophe instead of the good vibe of the news article. Some people always have to make a good thing go bad. Get off your high horse.

• Theress sauer   August 13, 2017 at 11:44 am

Get over it, John.. what are u the grammar police??wtf get a life

2. Monna Diaz   August 11, 2017 at 11:49 am

There is so much more to this man that I would love to know about him and this article told me nothing about him as a person. You did not answer the question of your headline

3. Sea Bas   August 11, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Monna Diaz she did answer the question, I now know who the man is and what is this mans passion and why he has the passion.

“There are none so blind as those who will not see!”

4. Justin Lamb   August 11, 2017 at 3:02 pm

John, shouldn’t it be “he has ridden”? Either way, don’t be a dick. Monna, the question was “who is he”. He’s Marshall Moon. Why are you guys feeling the need to be so critical of a local puff piece. Geez!

5. Sue Smith   August 11, 2017 at 3:52 pm

I’ve never been there and not see Marshall. He gets the crowd going. I see people always trying to take pictures with him too. I feel Pine Knob should give him free tickets for being so faithful. He told me he pays to get in. Such a nice guys.

6. John   August 11, 2017 at 8:28 pm

We call him The Shirtless Guy. The shows at Pine Know would not be as much fun without him.

7. Teresa Scott   August 12, 2017 at 2:16 am

Marshall Moon has been a “Pine Knob” regular for years. I think we have all drunk danced with “Suspender Man” at least once in our concert lives. Keep it up!!!!! You give a smile and a memory to all that see you!

8. Lynne Foster   August 12, 2017 at 6:37 am

He is a great guy I have to he pleasure of knowing when I worked 14 years at DTE/Pine Knob. He is smart and interesting to talk to. Marshall Moon rock on.

9. Kristen Callaghan   August 13, 2017 at 7:37 am

I agree Jason! I don’t know why people feel the need to be so nasty to one another.

10. Theresa sauer   August 13, 2017 at 11:45 am

Exactly, Justin..

11. Brian   August 13, 2017 at 2:31 pm

He is also an avid skier and rides his bike thru the snow to the same place to ski… every day… Marshall is cool as hell!